Here 5 ways to tell the difference between a bunch of fans and a personal board of directors:
- History and Understanding:
- Board of Directors: They have a history with you and understand the nuances of your life, including how you handle challenges, your work habits, and personal aspirations.
- Fans: They see the highlight reels and may not understand the behind-the-scenes shenanigans of your life. They often have unrealistic expectations.
- Honesty and Feedback:
- Board of Directors: They provide constructive criticism and honest feedback, even if it means telling you that you’re wrong or need improvement. They are not afraid to challenge you.
- Fans: They tend to shower you with praise and may not give you genuine feedback, especially when you make mistakes or face challenges.
- Long-Term vs. Short-Term:
- Board of Directors: They have a long-term perspective and are invested in your overall well-being and success.
- Fans: They often have a short-term, opportunistic view, showing up when you are successful and popular but disappearing during tough times.
- Support and Guidance:
- Board of Directors: They offer guidance and support in critical decisions, such as career choices, financial planning, and personal development. They are SMEs who don’t mind sharing their expertise to help you get to the next level.
- Fans: They may offer superficial support but lack the expertise or willingness to help with important life decisions.
- Realistic vs. Superficial:
- Board of Directors: They provide realistic, practical advice and support your growth and development, even if it’s not always comfortable. Truth be told, they don’t care if you get uncomfortable as long as you are growing and making progress towards your goals.
- Fans: They may offer superficial admiration and support but they are not equipped to provide the depth of guidance and assistance that a board of directors can offer.
Please don’t confuse likes and double taps with real connections. A personal board of directors offers a deeper and more meaningful level of support and guidance compared to fans who are often attracted to surface-level success.
Until next time,